Clinical research studies focus on human health and well-being through identifying novel ways to treat, cure or prevent illness.
Abu Dhabi Diabetes & Obesity (ADOS) Study
- A study on the aetiology and associated risk factors of patients with obesity/diabetes within the Emirati populationA study on the aetiology and associated risk factors of patients with obesity/diabetes within the Emirati population
- Started November 2012 with 973 adults and 1,006 children participating in the study
- Cross-sectional study investigating how a certain virus (Adenovirus 36) contributes to obesity and diabetes in the UAE
Abu Dhabi Diabetes & Obesity Study – Bariatrics (ADOS 2B)
- Looking at patients with previous, or planned bariatric surgery to understand the genetic factors that contribute to obesity in the UAE
- Started April 2016 with 1050 participants recruited
Cognitive Function and Body Mass Index in Children and Adolescents
- To study cognition in children and adolescents with different body-mass indexes (BMI)
- An ongoing study which commenced September 2018
- 111 volunteers participated to date
Effects of Ramadan on Thyroid function in hypothyroid patients
- To investigate the changes on thyroid hormone levels before, during and after Ramadan in the local Emirati population.
- 750 participants have been included
Nutrient sensing and glucose homeostasis in healthy and diabetic individuals
- A study on the gut hormone and glucose response to meals containing varying concentrations of protein to identify whether a differential response to macronutrients is present in those with type 2 diabetes compared to those without type 2 diabetes
- Started March 2017 with 173 participants who completed the study
The effect of camel milk on insulin and incretin response to a mixed-meal challenge in people with normal glucose tolerance
- A study to determine the differential effect of camel and cow milk on the physiological response to a liquid mixed meal challenge in people with normal glucose tolerance
- Study to investigate changes in body composition with Ramadan fasting
- Started March 2017; 12 participants completed the study
Lipid Ingestion and Glucose Tolerance in Healthy Volunteers and Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
- Aims to assess the response of fat preload on glucose tolerance in healthy volunteers and patients with T2DM
- Started March 2021 with 21 patients recruited and screened
- This study aims to establish a cohort of twin sets and to collect their detailed phenotypic information, and thereafter investigate the heritability of BMI, diabetes, the gut microbiome, and the metabolome.
- Retrospective study started November 2018; prospective study to commence
- 200 twin sets (400 patients) identified retrospectively
Vitamin D Deficiency Study
- To determine the possible causes of high incidence of vitamin D deficiency in the UAE. As per the findings, 63% of Emirati men and 68% of Emirati women showed to be deficient or severely deficient in Vitamin D.
- Commenced April 2016 with 48,916 individuals identified from the ICLDC database
Glucose profiles in Ramadan-fasting diabetes patients (Ramadan FGM study)
- The aim of this study is to investigate glucose profiles in diabetes and non-diabetes patients that decided to fast or not to fast during Ramadan using data collected through FreeStyle Libre sensors
- Started April 2018 with 450 participants included
Ramadan and Energy Expenditure (RAMEE)
- A study on the impact of Ramadan fasting on energy expenditure in diabetes and non-diabetes patients.
- Started June 2015; 250 participants
Lipid Profiles in Children
- This study seeks to decipher baseline lipid profiles for children in the UAE population, to identify the lipid profile for obese and non-obese children in the absence and presence of diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and MODY, and to inform guidelines on lipid management in children at a local and global scale.
- Started in 2018 with over 12,000 children in the ICLDC database
Progression of aortic valve disease: a 13-year follow-up of echocardiographic findings amongst ICLDC patients
- Aimed at investigating the rate of aortic stenosis progression and to determine clinical, echocardiographic, and biochemical characteristics that may have a bearing on the progression of this disease process with over 10,000 subjects
Genetics and Epigenetics of Type 2 Diabetes in the UAE
- This study aims to investigate the potential contribution of varous risk factors towards the increased risk of type 2 diabetes among Emiratis compared with ethnic groups. Risk factors include adiposity, physical inactiivty, and genetic and epigenetic risk factors.
- 1,417 participants have been recruited in the study
Routine clinical use of Liraglutide 3 mg for the treatment of obesity: Outcomes in non-surgical and bariatric surgery patients
- A prospective clinical audit of obese Arab patients with liraglutide 3 mg effective in reducing weight in 2018 with 2,092 participants recruited
Cardiovascular diseases risk factors in UAE adolescents and young adults with type-1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus
- A study from December 2014 in collaboration with UAE University on the correlation of microalbuminuria with glycaemic control, and its relation to cardiac autonomic neuropathy; completed with 42 participants
Nutritional composition and glycemic index of selected dates consumed in the UAE
- A study done in 2011 to assess the impact of nutritional composition of the glycemic index (GI) of five types of fresh dates
Abu Dhabi Obstructive Sleep Apnea (ADSA) Study
- A questionnaire-based study to establish the prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) among Emiratis; started March 2015 with 700 participants recruited. A follow-up study is planned.
Correlation between depression and HbA1c levels in the UAE population
- A questionnaire-based study in 2012 with 678 participants investigating the correlation between diabetes control, its complications and depression
The role of gut hormones and Hepcidin in type-2 diabetes
- Started December 2014 and recruited total of 1,420 of proposed 2,000 participants. Preliminary analysis indicated associations between fasting plasma Pancreatic Polypeptide levels and complications of Type 2 Diabetes.
Continuous Glucose Monitoring analysis during Ramadan fasting
- Phase 1 started in April 2010 and Phase 2 in September 2014. This study aimed to analyze glucose variability in fasting diabetes patients; 11 articles published on this study.
Performance of risk scores for Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) in the Emirati population
- This study aimed to deduce the performance of clinical risk scores and determinants for NAFLD and better understand the demographics of NAFLD in an adult Emirati population with diabetes visiting ICLDC; started July 2018 with 155 participants recruited